10 Things We Should Be Hearing About In The News!

10 Things We Should Be Hearing About In The News!

Recently we have seen many posts on ‘what’s happening’ in the world. These posts are generally focused on the destruction of the natural world, corruption in the medical industry and misinformation and greed of governments and corporations.  News is a money making industry.  This industry uses what grabs the viewers attention (fear and destruction) and keeps this viewer hostage–“if it bleeds it leads”.

We have had to talk many of our coaching clients ‘off the ledge’ of terror, despondency, judgement and hopelessness. Why? Because people are reading the news and it is collapsing their hearts.

I want to say that only about 1% of ‘what’s happening’ in the world is actually reported, and that 1% is the most negative stories the media could find and heavily influenced by the consciousness of whatever media organization is reporting it.  So what about the other 99% of what’s happening in the world? That’s what we want to talk about!

 

Here are 10 things happening that are not being reported but absolutely should be!

 

1: World tree coverage

 

What you knowThere is terrible deforestation in Brazil

What you probably do not know: 

For the first time in human history global tree coverage is actually increasing! 39% of the Europe is pure forests! In the last few years China has planted 2.4 Billion trees, India 2.1 Billion trees and Ethiopia 1.7 Billion trees.

Ref: https://www.geographyrealm.com/mega-tree-planting-efforts-around-the-world/

2: Violent crime in America

 

What you know: There is a lot of violent crime in America

What you probably do not know:

Violent crime in America has dropped by 50% in just 30 years! Yes that’s right there is half the violent crime in the States that there was just 30 years ago!

Ref: https://www.statista.com/statistics/191219/reported-violent-crime-rate-in-the-usa-since-1990/?fbclid=IwAR3uDE6LhpPQ1sSX3bDdwJLLly4DB2iieI6vIlsqsvjjzcEgFbi-rUcqJkE

3: World Poverty

 

What you know:  Most of the world is suffering from extreme poverty

What you probably do not know:  

In 1950 more than 75% of the world was in extreme poverty (earning less than $2 a day respectively). Now in 2021 that figure has fallen to 9%.  With more recent work that’s an 80% drop in global poverty in just 30 years! Every day 130’000 people are freed from extreme poverty. 

Ref: https://ourworldindata.org/extreme-poverty

 

4: Fossil fuels 

 

What you know: Fossil fuels are destroying the environment

What you probably do not know

More renewable energy plants are now being installed than fossil fuel plants. Renewable energy is now more cost effective than fossil fuels (Fossil $148 at Per Mw to Renewable at $50 per Mw). Electricity from solar is now 90% cheaper than it was 10 years ago.

Ref: https://ourworldindata.org/cheap-renewables-growth

 

5: Global access to clean water

 

What you know: Most of the world does not have access to clean water

What you probably do not know:

In just 30 years 2.6 billion MORE people have now got access to clean water. 

Ref: https://www.wsj.com/articles/millions-have-gained-access-to-safe-drinking-water-in-last-25-years-1435605655

 

6: Plastic 

 

What you know: Plastic is a scourge on the environment

What you probably do not know:

127 countries now tax or regulate plastic bags (Ireland has plastic usage dropped 90%)

and 77 of those countries has an outright ban on plastic

Ref: https://blueocean.net/ocean-pollution-update-positive-things-happening/

 

7: War

 

What you know: People all over the world are dying from war

What you probably do not know: In 1950 there were 250 war related deaths per million people. Now there are 9 war related deaths per million people. We are currently enjoying the most peaceful time in human history.

Ref: https://ourworldindata.org/war-and-peace

 

8: Population

 

What you know: The world is getting unsustainably overpopulated

What you probably do not know:

In the 1950s there was a global average of 3.5- 7 children per person. Now that has dropped to an average of 2.4 children per person. Yes, the global population is increasing but is estimated to balance out and stop increasing. Also, yes, the world CAN easily sustain the increase in polulation

Ref: https://www.ted.com/speakers/hans_rosling

 

9: Education

 

What you know: More than half the world is illiterate

What you probably do not know:

In 1960 only 42% of the world were literate. Now 86% of the world is literate.

Ref: https://www.ted.com/speakers/hans_rosling

Ref: https://ourworldindata.org/literacy

 

10: Extinction

 

What you know: Many animals are becoming extinct

What you probably do not know: 

In 1950 only 250 humpback whales remained. Now it’s back to its original population numbers! 

The American bison has gone from just 325 in the 1800s to now over 500’000.

Wild tiger populations are now starting to increase

Giant pandas are now off the endangered species list and are now making a come back

Also the southern white rhino, Yellowstone grizzly bear, Arabian Oryx, Grey Wolf, Steller sea lion, Grey whale, snow leopard, Brown kiwi are now longer on the endangered list and China has now banned the ivory trade, which has reduced the demand for ivory by 70%

Ref: https://astar.tv/post/5-endangered-species-that-have-had-some-good-news

Ref: https://www.gadventures.com/blog/animals-no-longer-endangered/

 

References for the 10 things the media is not reporting

My main reference for these statistics has been:  The work of the late Hans Roslings ‘Don’t panic the truth about over population’ (https://www.ted.com/speakers/hans_rosling

The awesome Steven Pinker’s book ‘The better angels of our nature’ (https://stevenpinker.com

Also, hours spent on the ‘towards data science’ website (https://towardsdatascience.com) and the ‘our world in data’ website (https://ourworldindata.org).

 

In conclusion

 

Yes corporations, the medical industry and governments can be corrupt and yes there is mis-information and vested interests in the news that makes it almost impossible to tell what the actual ‘truth’ is.

However- do we want to just focus on this 1% of the news or embrace the other 99% of the news? Do we want to just focus on what is wrong with the world or our government or do we want to focus on what is right?  

“We live in the feeling of whatever we are focusing on. ” Rudi Kennard

If you switch on the news and feel bad- your feeling is telling you where your focus is, if you don’t like the feeling change your focus. I am not saying ‘think positive’ and be oblivious to what is happening in the world’ I am saying be aware of what you are focusing on and open your mind to the other 99% of the news. The ‘whole’ news not just what is wrong but also what is right- believe me you will start feeling better, and when you feel better you do better in life and help create a more beautiful life for yourself and others.

So I am inviting you to start spreading positive news, to counterbalance the 1% we hear about.

I am inviting you to take ownership of your own feeling state and honor your own self care- start caring about the other 99% of the news and share it with your friends and family

I am inviting you to subscribe to the other 99% here: https://www.positive.news Here: https://www.optimistdaily.com Here: https://www.usatoday.com/humankind/ here: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org and here: https://kindling.xyz/good-news/ (to name just a few)

 

Common Sense

If you do not like what is going on in the world- do the reverse

If you don’t like the negative media- spread positivity

 

I lastly invite you to contemplate:

 ‘Is the information I am exposing myself to expanding or contracting my heart’? 

‘Is the information I am exposing myself to making me more judgmental or less judgmental of others? 

 

So my last question to you is ‘how do you want to feel’- The choice is up to you. . . .

 

For me and Jules, we want to continue to love and respect my fellow human beings and we want to continue to have faith in the goodness within all of us, this is what heals the world and brings communities together. 

 

So you the reader, what do you want to do now?

 

 

Share This Content

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

5 thoughts on “10 Things We Should Be Hearing About In The News!”

  1. Bob Shell & Marty Cashell

    Thank you for your wonderful additions to the world of love and positivity.
    And thank you for all the wonderful videos you have provided to share the Three Principles with the world. You are making a real difference. This will go on my facebook page and I will share it with our
    3P discussion group.

    1. Hi Bob and Marty,

      Thank you so much for your comment and beautiful words- it is our pleasure creating these resources and very much appreciate comments like yours, as it helps keep us inspired to keep on doing what we do!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use this website, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this. We are GDPR compliant; review our Policy https://innateevolution.com/privacy-policy/

Close